Monday, January 19, 2015

I'm Baaaaack With 3 New Tofu/Chicken Recipes!!

Hello, lovelies!

After quite a long hiatus, I'm back! And I'm going to try to post more regularly!

WARNING: This is a long, rambling post... I didn't make any of these recipes with blogging on the mind, so I didn't think about measuring anything or thinking of the proper steps to type out. I'll get better!

So last week was my first week back at school! Semester 3 out of 9... oof!

I have a few recipes and a project that I wanted to share!  Since I've been back at my apartment after Christmas break, I've been trying out new made up tofu recipes and so far they've all turned out delicious! (Especially the dinner I just finished... but we'll get to that later)

First, for the (super easy, shouldn't even really be called a project) project:
So, the other day, I was looking through a bunch of old pics of me with friends and family the past few years and decided I wanted more of those pictures in my room because they make me smile.  :) I also really didn't want to get rid of the Christmas lights that I was taking down from our living room (because I firmly believe Christmas should be celebrated all year). SO I put the two together and got this:

It was super easy, I just used the mini Command hooks to hang the two ends of the lights on either side of my wall then did the zig-zag formation in the middle because that strand of lights was so long!  Then I used some photo 
paper I found in my room to print out all the pictures from my computer.  

From there, I just used those ornament hangers that look like bent paperclips to hang the pictures by poking one end through the top of the picture then just hanging it on the strand of lights!


I absolutely love my new photo wall!

Now on to the recipes! They're all tofu recipes, just with different sauces that I put together! Any of these could be done with chicken as well, just make sure that you cook your chicken through (and there is where the chicken tips stop, as I haven't had it in 10 years... not the best to give advice!)

1. Ginger Soy Tofu 
Preheat oven to 400*
A. I just cut off a piece of tofu, wrapped it in paper towels a bunch of times, then pressed it under a stack of plates for about 15 minutes to get out the excess water.

B. While the tofu was pressing, I put together the sauce:
(I just used a bit of this and a bit of that. Totally didn't measure... didn't have blogging on my mind at the time! But overall, it made about 1/2 cup of sauce if that helps to guide you)

*Soy Sauce
*Sriracha (just a few drops because I'm a wuss and can't stand spicy things)
*Crushed fresh garlic
*Ken's Steak House Lite Asian Sesame With Ginger & Soy Dressing
*Minced/grated fresh garlic (Saw a trick where you cut knobs of ginger and go ahead and cut of the skin layer, then put them all in a plastic baggie and throw it in the freezer.  From there, you can grate it much easier without it getting stringy like it normally does!!)

C. After the excess water was pressed out of the tofu, I cut it into cubes then threw the cubes in the bowls with the sauce.  I lined a small baking sheet with a rim (actually the sheet that goes with our toaster oven) with foil and poured the whole bowl of tofu-sauce mix onto it (there will be extra sauce because it's too thin to really stick to the tofu at this point... just go with it!).  I baked the tofu for probably about 30 min on 400* tossing it every 8 min or so to make sure every piece was coated.

D. To go with the tofu, I made a tomato quinoa by mixing a little bit of tomato soup with plain quinoa. It was delicious, easy, and a great alternative to just plain quinoa like I normally eat!

2. Orange Glazed Tofu and Lime Asparagus
Preheat oven to 400*

A. First steps are same as Recipe 1, just different ingredient for the sauce/glaze (so follow 1A and B)

B. For the glaze:

*Soy Sauce: about 2 Tsp?
*The juice from 2 orange
*The juice from a small slice of lime (like 1/8 of the lime... very tiny slice because the lime can easily  outweigh the orange)
*Sriracha: just a few drops for me, go for more if you're dragon...
*Brown Sugar: about 2 Tsp
*Ginger (follow same tip from Recipe 1)
*Flour: about 1 Tbsp to help thicken the glaze

C. I cut the tofu into cubes and threw them in the bowl with the glaze.  Mixed them around some, then put the tofu on a foil lined, rimmed baking sheet.  This time, don't just pour all the glaze on top like I did before, just drizzle some of it on top of the tofu.  I baked for about 35 min at 400*, checking the tofu and adding another drizzle of glaze on the tofu every 8 min or so

D. For the asparagus,

I. Rinse a bunch of it and cut 1/2 inch off the bottoms of each of them
II. Line a baking sheet with foil then spray the foil with cooking spray
III. Put the asparagus on the foil and spray another layer of cooking spray on top
IV. Squeeze a slice of lime over the asparagus and sprinkle with sea salt

V. Bake in the oven at 400* until they are at a doneness you like (I like mine more crispy)
(Hint): If the tops start to brown before the stalks are done, fold the foil over the tops to keep them from cooking as fast

Done!


3. Coconut Lime Tofu Lettuce Tacos (MY FAVORITE!!!!!)


A. Follow 1A and 1B again

B. For the sauce: (This makes enough for at least two batches if you're only cooking for one!)

*2/3 can of coconut milk
*Juice from 1/2 a lime
*Soy sauce: about 2 tsp - NOT TOO MUCH! I accidentally made mine over-salty
*Grated fresh ginger
*1 Tsp(ish) brown sugar

(You will also need: coconut flakes, cherry tomatoes [diced], 1/2 an avocado [diced], hearts of romaine)

C. Cut the tofu into small cubes and cook them in a sauté pan with just some olive oil over medium high heat until they were golden brown

D. Turn the heat down to low

E. Add the coconut lime sauce until you fill the pan (it will look like way too much at first) and sprinkle in some coconut flakes

F. Cook the coconut lime tofu for about 5-10 minutes, stirring often

G. After about 5-10 min, I added a pinch of flour to help the sauce thicken up a bit.

H. Add sliced cherry tomatoes

I. Cook until the sauce has become a glaze on the tofu (looks so much better in real life than it ended up in this pic)

J. Place some coconut flakes on a foil lined pan and bake at 375 *WATCHING CLOSELY* to toast

K. Wash and dry hearts of romaine

L. Assemble tacos: place coconut-lime-tomato tofu, diced avocado, toasted coconut

M. Enjoy AMAZINGNESS

Congrats if you made it here! I warned you it was long and rambling! Sorry bout that! I'll make my recipes more organized from now on!

If you *did* make it this far, here are some random/adorable pics I found over Christmas break!




No comments:

Post a Comment