Friday, January 30, 2015

Farmers Market, Rainbow Chard, and a Sick Day Smoothie


Farmers Market
  Have y'all ever been to the Dakalb Farmers Market? It's amazing! You aren't allowed to take pictures inside, but Their produce section is GIANT and everything is so cheap! I went earlier this week and got a giant loot! My only problem is that whenever I go, I feel like I need to get EVERYTHING... not a good idea when you're buying fresh, organic produce that goes bad in about 4 days... My goal is to get better at planning meals and only buying what I specifically need for that week!




Rainbow Chard Sweet Potato Hash
  The first thing I made with all my farmers market goodies was a delicious hash for dinner that night! It was so good and super healthy!

Ingredients:
Tofu
1 sweet potato
1 zucchini
1 squash
1/2 onion
1 (very large) rainbow chard leaf
Coconut oil
Garlic salt
Lime

1. Preheat oven to 400
2. Cut a slice of tofu, wrap it in paper towels, and place something heavy on top to press out the excess liquid
3. Dice sweet potato, zucchini, squash, and onion (I diced extra and put in a tupperware to leave in the fridge for easy access to diced veggies throughout the week!)


4. Cut stems off rainbow chard, slice the stems into thin sticks and cut the leafy part into smaller pieces (look how pretty rainbow chard is!!)


5. Line a baking sheet with foil
6. Massage some coconut oil onto the sweet potatoes and rainbow chard stems and place on the baking sheet 


7. Sprinkle with some garlic salt and squeeze a slice of lime over them - cook for ~ 50 min (until the sweet potatoes have some char on them and the chard stems are dehydrated), tossing the veggies avery 10 minutes or so


While the sweet potatoes and rainbow chard stems are cooking: (wait about 30 minutes to do the next steps so that everything is done at the same time!)
7. Dice the pressed tofu into ~ 1 in. cubes
8. Sauté onion, zucchini, squash, tofu, and the rainbow chard leaf pieces in coconut oil and garlic salt
9. When everything is cooked, place the sweet potatoes and sautéed veggies/tofu on the plate, top with the chard stems, and squeeze another lime slice on top



Sick Day Smoothie
  I woke up this morning with the 'crud.'  Just didn't feel good in general - stomach ache, headache, sore throat, and ears felt a little itchy.  When I feel sick, eating healthy and spending time cooking aren't the first things on my list.  I usually just want to go for the easiest thing to grab between tv shows... So this morning when I woke up and knew it wouldn't be a super productive, healthy day, I decided to at least start to morning off right.  So I snuggled up on the couch with a giant glass of water, hot tea, and a green smoothie.  This way, even if I don't eat great the rest of the day, I've got some greens and fruit in me already!



Hot tea ~ I mixed three different teas:
1 bag of green tea
1 bag of peppermint tea
1 bag of ginger tea
Grated ginger (peal and cut fresh ginger and keep it in the freezer for easier grating without getting the stringy mess)
Slice of lime
Honey

I just boiled some water and added the 3 tea bags, ginger, and lime and let simmer for about 5 min then added the honey

Green smoothie
Handful of spinach (I took off the stems)
Handful of kale
1/2 avocado
~5 strawberries
Small handful of frozen blueberries
1/2 banana
Juice from 1 orange
~1/3 cup of POM coconut (that pomegranate juice brand)
Diced fresh ginger
1 spoonful of plain yogurt



I blended all that up first to make it easier to blend THEN added about 10 ice cubes
There are a lot of greens in this smoothie, but the natural sweetness from the fruit makes it delicious!



I'm going to try to get SOME studying done the rest of today because tomorrow, I'm going to Athens to cheer on UGA Noteworthy in ICCA QUARTERFINALS!!!!!! And then Sunday, I'm going to a Superbowl party! Soooo.... gots to get some work done today even though I don't feel too hot. :/

Here's a pic from when I competed with Noteworthy two years ago! Can't wait to see them compete again this weekend.  I'm already so proud of them! They've worked so hard for this competition!



No comments:

Post a Comment