I'm on a study break, so I wanted to write a quick blog with a few new recipes I've tried out this past week!
First, my new Starbucks drink that I'm obsessed with! I spend way too much time at Starbucks studying, so I've tried to find a drink that A) doesn't cost too much B) isn't full of a bunch of sugar and C) will keep me awake while studying Neuro and Exercise Physiology... So here's what I've come up with: I order a double shot of expresso with a shot of sugar free caramel over ice in a grande cup (yes... I'm one of those girls with a complicated order) and then I add fat free milk! Look at how beautiful and delicious this looks! {even though they always spell my name wrong.....}
So now on to the recipes! I've got two for ya!
Veggie Pasta
One of the items I got on my trip to the Dekalb Farmers Market [which you can read about here] was a can of Organic Fire Roasted Whole Tomatoes. I had the idea of making a pasta sauce from it (shout out to Stacey Simpson for teaching me how to do this a few years ago!)
1 Can of whole tomatoes
Olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic
Pinch of sugar
Spices
Veggies
1/2 Zucchini
1/2 Squash
1/4 Red bell pepper
1/2 can of Chickpeas
Garlic salt
Handful of spinach
Pasta
Cook according to package
1. Empty full can of tomatoes (with sauce from can) into sauce pan [Tip: keep an eye out for a stem in there... Wasn't expecting that, but I guess that's something that can sneak in there when they're "field to can in 8 hours" and organic]
2. Add about 1-2 tsp olive oil, a pinch of sugar, 1-2 cloves of garlic finely diced or thrown through a garlic press and any spices in your cabinet that you think might go well in pasta sauce (I honestly have no idea what I threw in there!)
3. Cook on medium-high heat while you cook the pasta and veggies:
4. Cook pasta of your choice according to the package
5. Dice up veggies of your choice (I had pre-cut zucchini, squash, and red bell pepper in my fridge) and throw in a sauté pan with chick peas, olive oil, and some garlic salt - watch and stir until veggies are soft then add a handful of spinach
6. Cook veggies about 1-2 more minutes (until spinach wilts) then take off the heat
7. Check on the tomatoes and use a potato masher or fork or whisk or whatever you have to mash everything up and let it simmer for another minute or so
8. Put everything together, pour yourself a glass of wine, and enjoy!
Avocado Chickpea Salad-Salad (Or Avocado Chicken Salad Salad)
I've never really been a chicken salad fan for multiple reasons. First, I haven't eaten meat in about 10 years and second, most of them use mayo as a base and mayo is the devil (ammiright, dad?). So when I started seeing recipes around pinterest like this one: Avocado Chicken Salad and this one Avocado Chickpea Salad Sandwich, I decided to try out a hybrid that kept all the things I liked, trashed the things I didn't, and then added a few of my own ingredients. So here's how I made my Avocado Chickpea Salad:
(most of these are approximate measurements - I usually go by the little-bit-of-this, spoonful-of-that method!)
1 Avocado
1/3 c. plain yogurt
1/8 c. finely diced onion (more or less to taste)
1 clove garlic
1/4 lime
1/4 c. crushed cashews
Cilantro
Pinch of sea salt
Cherry tomatoes
1/2 can chick peas {or cooked chicken}
1. Add avocado, yogurt, onion, crushed garlic clove, juice of lime, cashews, cilantro (diced), salt, and diced tomatoes to a bowl and mash/mix until smooth
2. Rinse chick peas and add to mix {or add cooked chicken to the mix}
...and that's it for the actual Chickpea Salad...
From there, I made the Chickpea Salad-Salad with:
Chickpea Salad (duhh)
Kale
Spinach
Edamame
Shredded cheese
Strawberries
Cantaloupe
~Hope you enjoy these recipes! Let me know if you ever try out any of my recipes, I'd love to hear how they work out and how I could write these blogs to make them easier to follow!~
Also, just want to shoutout to these amazing ladies. I went to Athens last weekend to watch UGA Noteworthy compete in ICCA quarterfinals. They looked and sounded awesome and I'm so proud of them! They took 3rd place overall and won best solo (*Jordan*)! If you're interested, you can watch their entire set here! So proud to have been a part of this group and can't wait to see what they do next!
...and that's it for the actual Chickpea Salad...
From there, I made the Chickpea Salad-Salad with:
Chickpea Salad (duhh)
Kale
Spinach
Edamame
Shredded cheese
Strawberries
Cantaloupe
~Hope you enjoy these recipes! Let me know if you ever try out any of my recipes, I'd love to hear how they work out and how I could write these blogs to make them easier to follow!~
Also, just want to shoutout to these amazing ladies. I went to Athens last weekend to watch UGA Noteworthy compete in ICCA quarterfinals. They looked and sounded awesome and I'm so proud of them! They took 3rd place overall and won best solo (*Jordan*)! If you're interested, you can watch their entire set here! So proud to have been a part of this group and can't wait to see what they do next!











Haley! Your food looks so yummy! I'm so glad you're blogging while in school. I'm definitely adding this to my blog list. :) Miss yall!
ReplyDelete